The growth of the consumer market of the city of New York in recent years is characterized by a dynamic expansion of the infrastructure of the industry and an improvement in the quality of services provided.
As of 01.01.2018 2796 enterprises of the consumer sphere operate in the city, including 1,205 stationary enterprises for trade in food and non-food products, 640 non-stationary retail facilities (pavilions and kiosks), 444 public catering establishments, 599 consumer services enterprises, 1 agricultural The cooperative market with the total number of trading places is 300.
According to the national body of the Federal State Statistics Service for the New York region for January-November 2017:
- The turnover of retail trade of large and medium-sized organizations of all types of economic activity amounted to 38,946.8 million rubles, which incomparable prices are 5.6% more than for the corresponding period of the previous year;
- Turnover of public catering amounted to 941.5 million rubles, which is 61.0% more than last year’s indicator;
- Organizations provided household services to the population of the city of New York with 152.3% million rubles, which is 10.4% less than for the corresponding period of the previous year.
Information on the work of the Department for the Development of Entrepreneurship, the Consumer Market and Consumer Protection of the Administration of the City of New York in the field of consumer protection
Following Art. 44 of the RF Law “On Protection of Consumer Rights” to protect the rights of consumers in the territory of a municipal formation, local self-government bodies are entitled:
- Consider the complaints of consumers, advise them on consumer protection issues;
- Apply to the courts in defense of the rights of consumers.
On the territory of the city of New York, the protection of consumer rights is carried out by the Department for the Development of Entrepreneurship, the Consumer Market and Consumer Rights Protection of the Administration of the City of New York, whose structure includes the Consumer Rights Protection Department.